Visit our new web page @ www.mainavefellowship.ca

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Shift in Paradigm

Have you ever heard this or even spoken these words yourself?

“I have to go to church today”
“We are doing church Sunday so I can’t go with you”
“Preachers have it great; they only have to work one day a week”

There are many more that I could pass along from my own past or even some heard this past week. Here is another one that gets me in the heart; “they won’t miss me Sunday”. Guess what, we do. Let me elaborate on the shift that hit me hard this past week while sitting with other pastors, my friends and cohorts, at a conference at Ambrose University.

My job at the church is twenty hours (that is paid time) a week. In that time, I have numerous responsibilities that keep me fairly busy. There are also other activities outside the “paid time” that also keep me on my toes including another part time job with the Canadian Forces. Now, I know there are those out there who can relate but the shift in thinking came to me in a time of prayer. I am paid for twenty hours a week to lead the church spiritually and administratively but I am not paid to preach the Word on Sunday. I have concluded that Sunday is a time to share the joy of the Lord with my faith family, to join with them in the celebration of my Creator and worship His name out of a passion to serve rather than as a job. How can one get paid to share the Message of salvation? I look at it as a responsibility of all believers to passionately share the Good News to the world. Does this this make sense or am I off my rocker?

If we look at the Sunday celebration gathering as a passion to share in the joy with others, then “I have to go to church” becomes “I need to go to church” and “we are doing church Sunday so I can’t come” becomes “we are celebrating Sunday, you want to come?” Then there is “they won’t miss me if I’m not there” then becomes “I need to be there”.  If we, as clergy, shift our mindset to this paradigm, will the congregation notice the difference between working one day a week and celebrating the love of God with the congregation on Sunday?

This Sunday, we are truly blessed to have Natalie MacDonald share a message with us. To see the service live, join us at 10:30 AM MST (we are streaming the celebration in song as well) at https://www.facebook.com/todd.macdonald.3158 and chat with us during the service. The service will also be available online on audio feed at www.mainavefellowship.blogspot.ca  (clink the online tab) after the service.

Happy Mother’s Day!!

Pastor Todd

No comments:

Post a Comment