Visit our new web page @ www.mainavefellowship.ca

Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Are We Affective In Our Community?


Are We Affective In Our Community?

One of my favourite passages in the New Testament comes from Matthew 25:31-46. It is a somber wake up call for the church today. Now don’t get me wrong, I am not accusing churches of not helping out the community but I would ask them (and ours) to take a look at the priorities of the church. Decades ago, the church was the focal point of the community. I have written and talked of this for years but it needs to be continually addressed. People used to go to the church for advice, for food hampers, employment, health concerns, support and the list goes on and on. The Grey Nuns Hospital served the needs of the community, the priests were in touch with the businesses and knew what was available and the kitchens of the church were open to the feed the poor. As the church becames (and still becomes) less and less of a resource and focuses on keeping the doors open, what is the first thing to suffer? Our community perhaps?

We should, as a faith community, look to this scripture as a foundation to a rebuild or even a redefine.

35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’ Matt 25:35-36

We are saved by grace, we do not require works to gain entrance to Heaven nor are we able to buy our way in. God sees our heart, asks us to believe in His Son and accept Jesus as our Lord and Saviour. When this is the foundation of our faith, there is a joy that cannot be hidden and the example of the Son should be our rally cry. This means that we become affective in effecting change in the lives around us. This past week, I have seen our little church feeding the hungry, inviting in strangers, comforting the sick and giving a community a taste of the Living Water. There are those who are trapped in a worldly prison who have received a visit from the faith-filled and others who clothed those in need with garments of prayer protection. This is a daily need of our society today that is awash in confusion and manmade idols. When the church addresses the needs of the community around them, lives are changed and needs are met. Church, seek out, reach out and become effective in lives – we are ambassadors of the King.

This Sunday, we welcome Rev. Jonny Blake from Edmonton, AB as he brings a message as a part of our Work and Witness week.  Service starts at 10:30 MST and can be seen live on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/MainAvenueFellowship/) or viewed afterwards on our website (www.mainavefellowship.blogspot.ca).

Blessings
Pastor Todd



No comments:

Post a Comment