Visit our new web page @ www.mainavefellowship.ca

Tuesday, August 13, 2019

As The Years Roll Along

Over the years, I have heard so many times my elders comment that they have more years behind them than they do ahead. They also claim that they have little to contribute because the world is moving forward at an incredible pace and they haven’t got the energy or strength to be of any help. There are so many things that are wrong with those attitudes but I do want to address something that happened today. There were three of us doing renovations in the basement of the church today and I came to the conclusion that six hours of framing will do me in and the other two gentlemen I was working with are both very knowledgeable and to be respected. As I was setting up the area for the day’s duties, both men were getting the next stages ready so we could hit the ground running when the supplies arrived. Tom had the plans ready for the south wall and Ernie was cleaning our area so we wouldn’t be tripping over our garbage. Ernie had offered to head out for get fill for the hole in the one room and came back with something I was not expecting and I was rather quick to dismiss it but, out of respect, I took the time to listen to his idea and then helped him start the project. I admit I was wrong

If there is something I can pass along to the youth today it is this. My years behind me are more than my days ahead. I have seen and experienced much but I have not the wisdom or knowledge of those who have paved the path before me. I would not be the person I am today had it not been for the elders who graciously took the time to teach me and mentor me. Do not dismiss the wealth of knowledge they have and are willing to share. Remember this from 1 Peter 5:5

In the same way, you who are younger, submit yourselves to your elders. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, “God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble.”

Now elders, remember this; it is important to share your knowledge and experience with those around you as often as you can. What you know will be forgotten if you do not share it with others. A friend shared on Facebook a picture of a gentleman cleaning a field with a scythe. I know the principle of how to use it and have carved great trenches with the nose of the tool. Had I spent time learning the tricks from my elders, I may have done it more than once. So elders, be generous with your experiences, knowledge and wisdom and remember this from 1 Peter 5:1-3

To the elders among you, I appeal as a fellow elder and a witness of Christ’s sufferings who also will share in the glory to be revealed: 2 Be shepherds of God’s flock that is under your care, watching over them—not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be;not pursuing dishonest gain, but eager to serve;3 not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock.

This Sunday, we welcome Greg Dole from Mission Aviation Fellowship. We invite you to join us if you can at 10:30 MST on Sunday or watch live online on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/MainAvenueFellowship/ ) or view it afterwards on our website (www.mainavefellowship.blogspot.ca).

Blessings

Pastor Todd


No comments:

Post a Comment