Visit our new web page @ www.mainavefellowship.ca

Wednesday, July 3, 2019

What Do I Do Now?


As I viewed the many pictures on social media of this years’ high school grads, I couldn’t help but remember my own graduation and prom, way back in 1974. Through all of the celebration, and the promises of keeping in touch, came the reality that I was done. As I walked out of my high school for the last time, I realized I had no place to go, or so I thought. I thought to myself, now what do I do?  Like many of today’s grads, I had a part time job, but no real direction.  Suddenly the world my parents help me navigate in was bigger and scarier than anything I knew. At that moment that I had to stand on my own from that day forward.
          
As I looked at those young faces I felt excitement and some human fear for them all. The pressures and dangers of the world today are much more complicated than in 1974. The lure of dangerous recreational drugs, social pressures and confusion over personal sexuality, proliferation of mental health issues, and the uncertain employment in their future are burdens on their shoulders. Out of the gate they are now on their own. So where can, or will they turn for help? Well I’m sure most of these grads will never read this column, so I invite everyone to share this with someone you care about.
          
Most teens have never been introduced to God, as many of their parents have been so busy working, or perhaps been jaded by any thought of church. The reality is our society has become trapped on a treadmill of self-reliance, so Jesus never makes it to their front door. Even in this, all is not lost. These grads have soaked up the world’s knowledge, both good and bad for the last thirteen years. They remain eager to learn and accept, so introduce them to Jesus. They are all looking for something good in their life right now. Tell them you would like to offer them a precious gift, and just open your mouth.
     
In Mark10:13-16 NCV we are told this: Some people brought their little children to Jesus so he could touch them, but his followers told them to stop. 14 When Jesus saw this, he was upset and said to them, “Let the little children come to me. Don’t stop them, because the kingdom of God belongs to people who are like these children. 15 I tell you the truth, you must accept the kingdom of God as if you were a little child, or you will never enter it.” 16 Then Jesus took the children in his arms, put his hands on them, and blessed them.
      
Our young people are intelligent. Give them the chance to discover something and someone greater than the world they know. When they ask, what do I do now, perhaps a little introduction will be in order.

Mike Shindruk
www.mastershandministry.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment