Visit our new web page @ www.mainavefellowship.ca

Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Guard The Children and Teach Them Righteousness


I was watching a video the other day from days gone by (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YY36UZ7FhU). I quite enjoyed the Andy Griffith Show especially Don Knotts and his deadpan humour. In this episode, a young lad decides the rules do not apply to him and he rides his bike on the sidewalk with little or no respect for the rules or others safety. After being warned twice, the bike is impounded and the father of the child is brought into the discussion. What happens the rest of the way is a wonderful explanation of how we should watch over our children and teach them to respectful of others by respecting the laws of the land. For me, I saw a young lad using crocodile tears and tantrums to get his own way and manipulating his father so that he could get back his bike. My question is this; who loves their child more? Is it the parent who folds so they can be liked by the child or to avoid conflict or is it the parent who sets the boundaries, lovingly reprimands misbehaviour and helps their child to understand the difference between right and wrong? I have said this in the past and I will say it again, I am not here to be my child’s best friend because I love him more than that. I am my child’s father and love him enough to say that he is in the wrong when he is. If I do not, I am letting him go down a path that is not going to help him in the future.

Ps 119:9 speaks to this very well,” How can a young person stay on the path of purity? By living according to your word.”

There are difficult commands in the Bible but they are for our own good and for the good of others around us. The scriptures say love your Creator with every ounce of your being and love your neighbour as you are loved. Your neighbour is not only the friends and family around you but also those who have wronged you, those who you would consider an enemy more than you would say a friend. If we take the time to examine our own lives, prayerfully lift up those around us regardless of whether they have wronged us or not, and reach out our hand in peace and compassion, will this make the world a better place? If we also teach our children these same rules, will they also emulate and teach this to their own children? Is it not time that this nation consider the health of the whole even if it means that our children occasionally are disappointed that we did not give into their tantrums and tears? The things God does because He loves us more than we can ever know. These things I do because I love my children more than they will ever know. These things I do because I love my brothers and sisters of the world more than they will ever know. Live according to the love of God, He will never steer you wrong.

We invite you to join us if you can at 10:30 MST on Sunday or you can watch us live online on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/MainAvenueFellowship/) or view it afterwards on our website (www.mainavefellowship.blogspot.ca).

Blessings
Pastor Todd


Matthew 19:14 New International Version (NIV)
14 Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.”


No comments:

Post a Comment