Visit our new web page @ www.mainavefellowship.ca

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

On The Precipice

This past summer I had the great pleasure of working with some wonderful young people at the Rocky Mountain Cadet Training Centre in Waiparous, AB. These were some of the finest cadets from across Canada and I was privileged to be their Youth Advisor.

One day we had the chance to do some abseiling from the repel tower on the base and while it had been years since I dropped in from height, I eagerly looked forward to my turn. You see I have repelled from heights even greater than the 33 feet of this tower and I love the feeling. The key is to trust the harness. At the top of the platform you rope off to a biner and a figure 8 belay device that is attached to your climbing harness. With your heals just off the platform, you lean back into the harness keeping your legs straight and you slowly let the rope play through the figure eight until you are perpendicular to the wall. This takes a ton of trust in both the harness and the rope to lean back into it but once you are over the edge, the rest is a blast as you walk or bound down the wall. I have done this off a skid, repelled upside down and gone face first running down the rock wall.

While there is still that moment of trepidation at the top, I still know the rope will hold. Sometimes that is the way I feel with my faith. I am at the precipice of some daunting task in my life and I hesitate for a moment and then suddenly remember that I am not alone. My harness is very secure and the rope is perfect for what needs to be accomplished because my God is where I put my trust.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6 (NIV)

When the world seems to be falling in on you and you are doubting, claim the power of Jesus and call out to Him. The power of our Living God through the Holy Spirit is where we should place our trust because His power is infinite and all that comes against us is finite. There is no greater power, no greater love that that which comes from the Father.

May God bless you all richly and see you Sunday!

Pastor Todd

No comments:

Post a Comment