Visit our new web page @ www.mainavefellowship.ca

Wednesday, September 16, 2020

What's In It For Me?

Over the years, the term “what’s in it for me” has slowly disappeared from normal conversation but I would like to know this; has it disappeared from the hearts of many in the community? The term “altruism” is not a common descriptor for acts of kindness I fear.  Oxford Languages defines altruism as “the belief in or practice of disinterested and selfless concern for the well-being of others.” What that means is a person provides for the needs of others without thought of remuneration of any type. A family is broke down at the side of the road and a good Samaritan stops to help out. After a quick examination, he found out that an ignition wire had come loose and fixed the problem. He made sure they were okay and jumped into his car and followed them a short way to make sure they were fine and then took off on a side road to continue on his way. They had offered to pay but he just said “one day you may be asked for help, pay it forward”. On the farm, it was nothing for friends to drop everything to help out. Now before you get your knickers in a knot, I am not saying that there are no good Samaritans out there so chillax. What I am saying is this; what is your motivation to serve others?

 

I have asked myself this numerous times over the years and I am sure that God has put this parable on my mind when the thought of “what’s in it for me” reared its ugly head.

 

Jesus replied with a story: “A Jewish man was traveling from Jerusalem down to Jericho, and he was attacked by bandits. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him up, and left him half dead beside the road. “By chance a priest came along. But when he saw the man lying there, he crossed to the other side of the road and passed him by. A Temple assistant walked over and looked at him lying there, but he also passed by on the other side. “Then a despised Samaritan came along, and when he saw the man, he felt compassion for him. Going over to him, the Samaritan soothed his wounds with olive oil and wine and bandaged them. Then he put the man on his own donkey and took him to an inn, where he took care of him. 35 The next day he handed the innkeeper two silver coins, telling him, ‘Take care of this man. If his bill runs higher than this, I’ll pay you the next time I’m here.’

“Now which of these three would you say was a neighbor to the man who was attacked by bandits?” Jesus asked.

The man replied, “The one who showed him mercy.”

Then Jesus said, “Yes, now go and do the same.” Luke 10:30-37

 

What’s in it for me? If I stop to help, I am going to be banned from the Temple until I am clean. Look at how much I am giving to others. I will be rewarded for doing this favour. The Samaritan did not think of self but only of the well-being of this poor soul. Our reward is in Heaven but it is not by deeds that we are saved but rather by faith. We show our concern for others because we truly love and appreciate our brothers and sisters. What’s in it for me? Joy, happiness and peace – what more is there?

 

This weekend we continue with the study of the seven churches in the Book of Revelation. We invite you to join us online Sunday at 10:30 AM MST. Click on either link below to join us live:

Facebook Live -

https://www.facebook.com/main.ave.31

YouTube Live – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs9LIkN_QTdVM6eVXEgy9QA

 

See you all Sunday.

Blessings

Pastor Todd

www.mainavefellowship.blogspot.ca

 

No comments:

Post a Comment