Visit our new web page @ www.mainavefellowship.ca

Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Love That Hurts


Just a heads up that this article has nothing to do with the service this coming weekend but, then again, maybe it does. A couple weeks ago, Natalie and I became first time grandparents and our lives have been forever changed. I saw my son come into this world almost thirty years ago and my heart exploded the first time I held him. Then came that moment when he looked into my eyes and I cried. My son! He will always be my son and never will there be a moment when I don’t love him completely. Then came my daughter-in-law and we could see the love she had for Austin. It was a deep, committed love and we fell in love with her almost immediately. Now jump to two weeks ago. Leo came into this world and we were eagerly anticipating our first glimpse of him and then came the first of many pictures and videos. The first picture took me back to the day Austin was born and the rush of emotions took over once again and, yes, I cried. How can we fall so completely in love with someone without meeting them in person? I must say, however, this type of love is a forever love and I dare say that these types of relationships, the deep and impactful relationships, hurt so much. Let me explain this before people start to get too out of sorts.

We watch this world tumble about with an air of superficial fluidity. Consider the temporariness of our society. Dedication to a job is as permanent as the next grand offer, brand loyalty is such a thing of the past that big companies don’t worry about how long you have been with them but rather look for ways to compete with the others rather than build relationship and build a strong foundation of support. There are no deep roots, no depth of commitment. Upset someone and watch how quickly they unfriend you. There is little in the way of effort to maintain strong relationships. I know there are going to be those out there who will remind me that I got divorced but my reply is this; I was stupid and lazy in my past and now can speak to this with knowledge and wisdom. So, here are some words of wisdom. Deep, committed love hurts a ton. When I saw my son for the first time, it felt like a dagger went deep into my heart but it was not a dagger but rather a connection that anchored there for all time. It has happened again since but most recently was when I got to see my grandson for the first time. Then I saw “the look”. My son and daughter-in-law beaming as they looked at their bundle of joy sleeping quietly in their arms. So where does the hurt come in? I would rather loose my own life than see anything happen to my family. This is a love where we put our own needs on the backburner in favour of another. I would rather lose an argument than risk breaking a relationship, would rather take the pain upon myself than watch them suffer. To love so much that our heart breaks when others cry is so hard to take but the reward of the relationship, that deep relationship, is the reward. Jesus loves us that deeply, in fact it is even deeper than that. I say I would die for my child, for my wife, for my grandchild; He did!

This weekend we continue with the study of the seven churches in the Book of Revelation with the church of Sardis. We invite you to join us online Sunday at 10:30 AM MST. Click on either link below to join us live:
Facebook Live - https://www.facebook.com/main.ave.31
YouTube Live – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs9LIkN_QTdVM6eVXEgy9QA

See you all Sunday.
Blessings
Pastor Todd
www.mainavefellowship.blogspot.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment