Visit our new web page @ www.mainavefellowship.ca

Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Peace and Quiet

On numerous occasions, I have been asked my opinion only to be argued with and, at times, ridiculed because the answer I gave was not the one they wanted to hear. Now, I am no snowflake, that is, I do not melt under pressure, I can handle push back, but I still walk away wondering what just happened.  Over the years, I have taken many courses on effective communication, conflict resolution and crisis intervention and one of the biggest hindrances to attaining a respectful and healthy conversation is the art of listening. Many of you may think “Todd, you have talked about this before” and you would be correct, but this seems to be something that is becoming more of an issue these days. I am not writing this because someone has recently confronted me but rather it is something I am observing every day in our communities and in our media. So, allow me to post this one reference to scripture and add a bit of my own thoughts to the equation.

Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters: You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry. James 1:19 NLT

So often these days, people are half listening, or not listening, to the input from the person they are talking to and, instead, are formulating their response or preparing their next talking points. In many cases, if you paraphrase what they just said, they will stop to listen because you are saying what they want to hear. Just be aware, the second you begin to go away from their opinion, you will see their eyes shift and they are back to formulating and not really listening anymore. For me, I quite enjoy listening to the opinions of others because it gives me an opportunity to learn more about their stance and about them as well. A wise person once helped me with a great ideology; “do not confuse my silence for acceptance, I just want to know your side first”. Proverbs 12:15 states “The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice” and Proverbs 18:13 says “If one gives an answer before he hears, it is his folly and shame”. The world seems so divided lately and people just seem to be deaf to the words of others. As some try to get their opinion across, others seem bound and determined to shout them down. The common theme seems to be “I want to hear my viewpoint coming from your mouth!” Tune your ears to wisdom, and concentrate on understanding. Pro. 2:2. Even if you do not believe in God, there is incredible wisdom in the Proverbs. For those who are looking for an argument or want to bully people into silence, remember this; “Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent” Pro. 17:28.

We invite you to join us this Sunday either in person or watch us online at 10:30 AM.

Facebook Live - https://www.facebook.com/main.ave.31

YouTube Live – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs9LIkN_QTdVM6eVXEgy9QA

We look forward to seeing you this Sunday.

Blessings,

Pastor Todd

www.mainavefellowship.blogspot.com

 

No comments:

Post a Comment