Visit our new web page @ www.mainavefellowship.ca

Thursday, August 26, 2021

I Can Feel It Coming

It all happened in a moment. I could see it happening but it was too late to avoid it. Had I been more aware, had I been more observant, I would have been able to avoid it but it happened. This incident happened many, many years ago. On my way to work in the lower mainland of British Columbia, I found myself, once again, stuck in traffic heading towards the Pattulo Bridge. It was backed up for almost a mile but the lane I wanted was open so I just motored along grinning as I passed the stalled traffic in the other lanes. I was blissfully unaware that the power was down and the traffic lights were not operating. As I came up to the intersection, which I assumed was green for me, a car came out of nowhere and I realized I had a front row seat to an accident. From sixty to zero in two feet then nothing but white as the airbag went off. Funny what a bit of inattention can cause.

My parents put me through defensive driving before I got my license and, for many years, I practiced everything my instructor had taught me. “Look well down the road for hazards, always expect the unexpected, slow when coming to an intersection, always be vigilant”. Over the years, I developed some bad habits, wandered away from some of the teachings and had begun to rely on my own great driving habits. Nothing bad had happened to date so why continue to do this and that? We never know when the lessons that we have ignored come back to haunt us.

Children, obey your parents because you belong to the Lord, for this is the right thing to do. “Honor your father and mother.” This is the first commandment with a promise: If you honor your father and mother, “things will go well for you, and you will have a long life on the earth.” Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger by the way you treat them. Rather, bring them up with the discipline and instruction that comes from the Lord.

Ephesians 6:1-4 NLT

There is a time coming when life will come to an abrupt halt and we will be simply a passenger as the events unfold around us. Are we prepared; are you prepared? Is your seatbelt fastened, is the stuff in the car fastened, have you ensured your children or even grandchildren secured in place? The time to start worrying about these things is not while the accident is happening but rather well in advance of any situation that may occur. Have we taught our children, our grandchildren about the wonders of our Lord and Saviour or are we going to let them figure it out as they go along? I hate to say this but there are thousands, if not millions, who have, in the past, decided to let those around them figure it out for themselves, make the choice on their own as it were, because they did not want to infringe on their rights. Tell you what, show them how to use a seatbelt and to store things under their seats and explain the importance of following the safety protocols so they can make an informed decision, after that it is up to them. Bring them up with the basic instructions so they at least have a fighting chance to survive that big collision.

 We invite you to join us this Sunday either in person or watch us online at 10:30 AM.

Facebook Live - https://www.facebook.com/main.ave.31

YouTube Live – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs9LIkN_QTdVM6eVXEgy9QA

We look forward to seeing you this Sunday.

Blessings,

Pastor Todd

www.mainavefellowship.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment