Visit our new web page @ www.mainavefellowship.ca

Monday, June 3, 2019

If I Told You Once, I’ve Told You A Million Times


This was a favourite saying of my father. I later heard a joke regarding that saying. If I told you once, I told you a million times, quit exaggerating. My father did have to tell me a few times about some things and, as I got older, I began to fight back, to question and argue with him. I look back on these times and realize three things; my parents are a lot smarter than I ever gave them credit for, I was an idiot and I am certainly glad they never stopped watching over me and giving me sage advice. There was a time when many of us have not been devoted to doing what is good but rather have sought out and created controversy just for the sake of creating issues or for selfish reasons. This is not a good or healthy way to live.

He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life. This is a trustworthy saying. And I want you to stress these things, so that those who have trusted in God may be careful to devote themselves to doing what is good. These things are excellent and profitable for everyone.

But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and arguments and quarrels about the law, because these are unprofitable and useless. Warn a divisive person once, and then warn them a second time. After that, have nothing to do with them. You may be sure that such people are warped and sinful; they are self-condemned. Titus 3:5-11

There is a difference between respectful conflict where both sides listen to each other and selfish or self-serving controversies where one or both parties refuse to respect and listen to each other. If we choose to argue and quarrel, there is rarely a winner as one or even both parties will walk away hurt and, in many cases, destroyed relationally. God does not want us to avoid arguments that lead to destroyed relationships. Mutual respect for each other’s opinions helps us to work through our issues and conflicts allowing us to grow. When those around us refuse to listen or work towards resolution, there comes a time to be wise, be silent and just walk away.

The one who has knowledge uses words with restraint, and whoever has understanding is even-tempered. Even fools are thought wise if they keep silent, and discerning if they hold their tongues. Pr 17:27-28

This Sunday, Rev Glenn Reeder will be bringing the message this weekend and we invite you to join us if you can at 10:30 MST on Sunday or you can watch us live online on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/MainAvenueFellowship/) or view it afterwards on our website (www.mainavefellowship.blogspot.ca).

Blessings
Pastor Todd


No comments:

Post a Comment