Visit our new web page @ www.mainavefellowship.ca

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

I Got You

Years ago, when I was so much younger and not all that wise, there were times when the adrenaline rush ruled over common sense and wisdom. “I bet you can’t clear that gap!” or “What, are you chicken?” were the challenge phrases that generally set our cautions to the wayside and the sense of pride became the force behind our mighty war cry! I know for a fact that we were directly responsible for just about every grey hair on my parent’s heads. As every parent will tell you, what goes around comes around and I am now the owner of the very same silver mop.

When my son was growing up, before he got to the testing teens, there were many occasions that his sense of fear and foreboding had him on the side of the overwhelming gap shaking from fear to the point of tears. I was treading water under the diving board coaxing him to just take one more step. “Don’t worry, I got you” The look in his eyes was indescribable but it reflected the knowledge that dad was right there, ready to catch him and there was nothing to worry about. “Don’t worry son, no matter what, I got you.” Move forward to many years later, father and son standing atop a cliff fifty feet above the crystal clear pool at the bottom of Cascade Falls. I’ve done the jump numerous times but this time there is something different, my son is with me. “Let me go first to make sure it is clear and then you can follow.” My fear is not for me but rather the safety of my son. We both jumped and shared the joy of the rush.

Peter standing on the side of the boat looked out across the lake and the Lord Jesus summoned Peter to join Him.

“Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.”  “Come,” he said.
Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!” Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?” Matt 14:28-31

Jesus knew the water would hold His weight and He knew that Peter would be safe but Peter trusted the fear rather than the promise. Jesus has made the ultimate promise, the perfect promise – “Come”, follow and trust in Him and you will know the peace of His perfection. Jesus is calling out, “I got you!”


This Sunday, we finish up the series on Fear, The Devil’s Playground. Services start at 10:30 MST and can be seen live on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/MainAvenueFellowship/) or viewed afterwards on our website (www.mainavefellowship.blogspot.ca).

Blessings
Pastor Todd

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the reminder! A very helpful encouragement today.

    ReplyDelete