Visit our new web page @ www.mainavefellowship.ca

Tuesday, August 1, 2017

The Truth in Song

Jagger and Richards wrote these immortal words and the second you read them chances are you will be singing them for a while.

You can't always get what you want, You can't always get what you want, You can't always get what you want, But if you try sometimes well you might find, You get what you need

Now this is about as Christian as betting on the horses but humor me for a moment and it will make sense.

The song is not the focus of this article but rather the message which, by the way, is taken so out of context with the song but my mind went to a place and I decided to explore this strange new thought pattern. A few months ago, a young man was discussing his finances and told me he was praying for enough money to get himself a fancy new “toy”. He was rather upset because he was praying earnestly and quoted scripture regarding Jesus prospering those who call upon His name. The words came out of my mouth before I had the chance to buffer them and I said “you know we don’t always get what we want but God will provide us with what we need.” I guess this was the wrong answer and the conversation ended rather suddenly.

There was a time that I wished for enough money to buy this thing or that but once it was acquired, there was always another want. Now let me explain, a want is something I desire but a need is something I cannot live without. It took many years to figure this little lesson out; there is a difference between want and need. I wanted a jet ski but I needed food on the table, I wanted a new truck but I needed a roof over my head, I wanted money enough to be comfortable but I needed to accept the treasures God had provided me already.

Matthew 6:19-21 (NIV)
“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

All these things, these wants fulfilled grant temporary pleasures but if we take the time and try, sometimes you might find what you really need. The true treasures in life lie in our relationships with others and these can be eternal riches, our true need for our Glory life. Life is too short to seek after the temporary, the wants. Seek after what you truly need, a relationship with the Father and a relationship with your neighbour.

This Sunday and the continuing throughout the week, we will be at Camp Harmattan for services. We will try our best to live stream on Facebook but it may be difficult due to the lack of reliable WIFI in the valley. Check us out Sunday on either our Facebook page or at www.mainavefellowship.blogspot.ca for details and updates.

Shalom


Pastor Todd

No comments:

Post a Comment