Visit our new web page @ www.mainavefellowship.ca

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Forgiveness Is More Than Words

A child has been told on more than one occasion that hitting is not right and hurts. One afternoon, the little girl’s mother saw her hit another child and went out to confront her. The mother scolded her child and told her to apologize. The little girl knew that she would suffer even more dire consequences if she did not apologize so she walked up to the other girl and flippantly said sorry. The mother did not see the forgiveness in the words nor the sincerity in the apology and told her daughter to try again. Once again the young girl asked forgiveness with the flourish of the appropriate gestures, the down-turned eyes and clasped hands, and, once again, the mother did not see the truth in the gesture.

“What are you sorry for?”
“Hitting my friend.”
“How would you feel if she had hit you?”
“Really bad.”
“Are you truly sorry for hurting her?”
“Yes mommy.”
“Then let her know just how sorry you are.”

So often the apologies are just lip service and not from the essence of our hearts. It can almost seem like the act of forgiveness is court ordered and the asking a mandatory requirement. It’s hard to forgive another when the other person just throws out the words without really understanding what they are apologizing for.

Father, forgive me my sins. Forgive me my trespasses as I forgive others their trespasses against me. Paying lip service to these words, praying them without truly grasping them to our hearts, speaking the words without living the words is truly a hazardous venture.  Forgive me Father as I forgive those who do me ill will. I can forgive my so called friend for what he did to me but only if he comes to me and asks forgiveness and makes amends. God forgive me – would you want the Lord to say yes, no problem or would you have Him say well, okay BUT there are some things you need to do before I can really forgive you. His grace is perfect and His forgiveness is truly wonderful. Does our community forgive like Jesus or do we place conditions? Is our faith more than the words spoken?

This Sunday we look at forgiveness and also forgetting.
May you be blessed richly in the love of God this coming week.


Pastor Todd

www.mainavefellowship.blogspot.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment