Visit our new web page @ www.mainavefellowship.ca

Friday, September 10, 2021

Targets & Levels

How amazing it is to use your hands to build something. My blue collared father taught me how to do just that when I was in my early teens. I always looked up to him and would literally soak up every nugget and morsel he would show me. From leveling out a lawn with new topsoil, to a driveway with fine gravel. At twelve years old I could handle a rake pretty well. He had the patience of Job and would just keep telling me, ”Just look at the way it lays, and you’ll feel the level”.

He also taught me what seems to me now as a million carpentry skills and tricks. Some of which I am using still today. Both of my sons are great carpenters, so I think maybe dad may have slid that into their genes as well. I remember when we moved to Nova Scotia, almost fifty years ago now, and we built a garage in our yard in New Glasgow. We used railway ties and gravel for the foundation and he broke out a line level and a four footer. So, with rakes and shovels we prepped the site, then began to lay the beams. We must have checked the line and level a thousand times, and each time he would be fussier than the last. Eventually I heard those golden words. Okay, now it’s close enough. I never forgot those lessons, as they remind me of how we need to conduct our lives.

You see, when we begin our journey and relationship with Christ, we are all over the map. We get introduced to God and we are taught the basics. As we grow older, His presence in our lives becomes more grounded, then, like my earthly father, our Heavenly Father puts tools in our hands as He teaches us, again with the patience of Job. Our rake and shovel would be our pastors, mentors, and scriptures. At first, they all feel new and awkward, but the more we use them, the better we get at levelling out our lives. There will be times when we think, well I’ve learned enough, then we will back slide and become off kilter, but we need to continually make adjustments along the way. After all, we’re building the rest of our lives. Then we dive back in and things will get smooth and plumb. I think there are times that all of us kind of slide a bit and think, well that’s close enough. The past couple of years have been like that due to the events in our world. Most of us cannot yet meet in person for faith gatherings, so we are now relying on technology to keep us connected. For the most part, it works, but nothing can replace the face to face with your faith family.

I am fortunate that my Pastor has been in my “bubble” since the beginning, so my home is blessed with constant weekly physical interaction. We have not felt like we have backslid, but really miss the rest of our peeps. I am looking at these days as just another version of my father saying, just keep moving and raking, and micro-adjusting that level. Eventually it will be close enough to build on. Well, I believe we all will constantly be adjusting ourselves and will see the bubble perfectly between the lines just before we are called home.

I’m hoping for a long life of raking and adjusting, yet I am willing to accept whatever days God has for me. I am currently building a little backyard workshop with one of my sons. As we toil on uneven ground to make all the foundation targets level and square, I am reminded of the great teacher I had as a young teen, and also of the great teacher that I have now for simply living. My building will stand soon, close enough for my eyes. My hope is that as I stay plugged into God, through the people He has surrounded me with, and that like my earthy father, my Heavenly father will one day say to me, welcome child, your level is close enough.

Mike Shindruk

Master’s Hand Ministry

 

No comments:

Post a Comment