Visit our new web page @ www.mainavefellowship.ca

Thursday, September 9, 2021

Grace As The Foundation

We were talking today at our study and the conversation turned, as it usually does in our Bible studies, away from the intended topic to that of foundational Christianity. Now you may ask, “what is foundational Christianity?” It is getting back to basics and getting rid of the human rules that get in the way of God’s intentions for His children. Let me give you an illustration that may help. When I was younger, I challenged my father at every turn. His rules made no sense to me and I did not agree with many of them. We butted heads on numerous occasions and my mother was the buffer between the two of us trying to keep the peace. Many is the times I heard my father say, “when its your house, you can make the rules but until then, you follow my rules.” This makes perfect sense to me now but back then he was just a controlling figure that was clueless to the way things really work in the real world. These rules stifled my personal rights and I knew I could do better on my own. I could hardly wait for the day I was in charge and the rules would be much more fair in my home. Speed forward and I came to appreciate that not only were my rules very similar to the ones my father laid out but there was also a realization that the rules were in place out of a sense of love for family and friends. In fact, when I looked closely at the rules, they are very similar to the rules God set forth for us all; love God with every ounce of your being and love your neighbour.

Back to the basics does not mean throw out the manuals and bylaws but rather measure them against the known Word of God. If a rule countermands the rules God set forth, then it should be examined, tested and modified to come into parallel with His Word. Consider this, the act of circumcision does not make you a Christian just like standing in a garage does not make you a Ferrari. It is Christ, the foundation of our churches, who sets us free and delivers us from our sins and delivers us to eternal life.

1 So Christ has truly set us free. Now make sure that you stay free, and don’t get tied up again in slavery to the law.

Listen! I, Paul, tell you this: If you are counting on circumcision to make you right with God, then Christ will be of no benefit to you. I’ll say it again. If you are trying to find favor with God by being circumcised, you must obey every regulation in the whole law of Moses. For if you are trying to make yourselves right with God by keeping the law, you have been cut off from Christ! You have fallen away from God’s grace.

But we who live by the Spirit eagerly wait to receive by faith the righteousness God has promised to us. For when we place our faith in Christ Jesus, there is no benefit in being circumcised or being uncircumcised. What is important is faith expressing itself in love.

You were running the race so well. Who has held you back from following the truth? It certainly isn’t God, for he is the one who called you to freedom. This false teaching is like a little yeast that spreads through the whole batch of dough! 10 I am trusting the Lord to keep you from believing false teachings. God will judge that person, whoever he is, who has been confusing you. Gal 5:1-10 NLT

It is time to return to the basics of our faith. It is by grace we are saved and Jesus is the way to salvation. This week we begin a series on “The Way, Truth and Life” that brings it all back to the basics. We invite you to join us this Sunday either in person or watch us online at 10:30 AM.

Facebook Live - https://www.facebook.com/main.ave.31

YouTube Live – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs9LIkN_QTdVM6eVXEgy9QA

We look forward to seeing you this Sunday.

Blessings,

Pastor Todd

www.mainavefellowship.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment