Visit our new web page @ www.mainavefellowship.ca

Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Did You Know?


Did you know that there are essentially two groups of people in this world? There are those who have some sort of religious foundation that addresses life, death and what is to come and there are those that believe there is nothing beyond the final breath. I do not want to get into a theological argument or discussion about which religion has the right idea of what happens after death but rather I would like to ask a question regarding the worm bait theorists. I have addressed this topic in the past but the events of the past two weeks have really brought this question to the forefront of my inquiring mind. By the way, this is not to be considered the opportunity for people to weigh in by knocking other religions but rather the occasion for those with no faith to answer this one question; where is the hope? There are so many people out there who bash or ridicule people’s beliefs yet they have nothing to replace hope.

So let me throw this out there as a starting point to the conversation. Years ago, I used to run a fair amount. I have done my share of ten-kilometer runs and every time the intent was always the same thing; run to finish. The reason I had that goal in mind was because it took quite some time to work my way up to finishing the full distance. I strained and struggled to get past that first kilometer, then the second one and so on. As time went on, I set goals and as I attained them, I looked further down the road and strived for the next goal and this went on for years. Sometimes the goal was a distance and other times it was a timing but in all cases I had a goal that I strived to attain and when I achieved it, there was such a feeling of joy and happiness. But the question is this, what happens if, at the end of the race, there is nothing; no celebration, no adulation – it just ends. What motivates to finish strong, what propels us to look past the finish line and see what lays beyond that ribbon? What can anyone say that would have me or anyone else who holds onto their own belief of a life beyond this one to buy into one that has no hope of anything beyond the final breath? Next question I have is this; why would anyone in their right mind hold onto a belief that claims there is nothing beyond our own existence and all that we know is gone upon our death. Where is the hope?

I’m not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don’t get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I’ve got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I’m off and running, and I’m not turning back.
 So let’s keep focused on that goal, those of us who want everything God has for us. If any of you have something else in mind, something less than total commitment, God will clear your blurred vision—you’ll see it yet! Now that we’re on the right track, let’s stay on it. Phil 3:13-16 Msg

This is my hope, this is our hope. It’s better, in my mind, to see the joy beyond the grave then it is to focus on the wall at the end of the race and believe there is nothing beyond it. This Sunday, we welcome back Rev Glenn Reeder as he brings a continuation of God’s message through the book of Esther. We invite you to join us if you can at 10:30 MST on Sunday or watch live online on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/MainAvenueFellowship/ ) or view it afterwards on our website (www.mainavefellowship.blogspot.ca). See you all in a couple weeks.

Blessings
Pastor Todd



No comments:

Post a Comment