Visit our new web page @ www.mainavefellowship.ca

Wednesday, October 24, 2018

The Goodness of God


When I was younger, I didn’t mind the dirt. The smells that permeated my clothing were a part of me. On the farm, you could tell the difference between a pig farmer and a dairy farmer. I remember going to my Uncle Howard and Auntie May’s house just up the road and the mud room smelled like cow and milk. It is a tough smell to describe but it was unique to their house. When I hugged Aunt May, she smelled like fresh baking and flour. Their house smelled different from our home but both were loving and warm homes. We moved from the farm about the same time that I began to get that teen smell. I never noticed it but my parents sure did. I was the same person but there was a change happening. We moved into my Grandparents home in Edmonton and there was a whole new set of smells. Grandad smelled like sawdust and fresh cut lawn, Grandma smelled like fresh baking and tea. All these places were different in their smells but one thing never changed, the love and comfort in the home was heartwarming and safe.

Over the years, I have attended numerous services in numerous locations and denominations. The atmosphere, the smells, were always different but the love and comfort in His home was heartwarming and safe. We may all smell a bit different, that is have varying experiences and pasts, but in His heart we are all united as His family. My Great-grandma Smith raised sheep, mom tried chickens for a while, Uncle Howard had dairy cattle, we had pigs and my cousins had cattle but when we all came together, we were all one family with our own unique smell. Too much is made about denominationalism and even separations within the same denomination. We all claim to be followers of Christ, united under one banner. Some may be the elders or the retired of the church, some may be relatively new to the church, some feel they are not worthy to be there, some are joyous and others are hurting and some are the rabble-rousers. In all cases, we gather in His house looking not for the judgement of others wondering why we don’t smell like them but rather they/we are looking for that heartwarming acceptance, the comfort of the gathering, the love of the Father.

This weekend we celebrate the deliverance of God’s children through the sacrifice of the Saviour. We celebrate the joy, comfort and peace of His church, His glorious gathering. We invite you to join us in person or online at 10:30 MST and can be seen live on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/MainAvenueFellowship/) or viewed afterwards on our website (www.mainavefellowship.blogspot.ca).


Blessings
Pastor Todd


No comments:

Post a Comment