Visit our new web page @ www.mainavefellowship.ca

Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Fourth Sunday of Advent - Love

Many years ago, I did something that was rather dumb and could have cost me my job but my buddy stepped up to the boss and took on my error. You see I was very new to the job and it was an honest mistake but the boss had a habit of laying into the new guys who had made an error. I asked why he did not say who was truly the at fault for the accident and he said that it was no big deal and no one was hurt. He took it on the chin so that I would not feel the wrath of the error.

“As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. John 15:9-13 NIV

Numerous times people have quoted this bit of text and said they are not sure if they could take a bullet for anyone but if we read this passage with a different perspective we could also suggest that Christ was saying put the needs of self, one’s own personal desires, and lift up your friend when he or she is in dire need of a helping hand. Jesus often let go of what He was doing so that He could provide comfort for someone in dire need. The ultimate sacrifice was made on the cross for all mankind by Someone who was innocent of any sin or transgression. This is the love of the Saviour
This Sunday, the fourth Sunday of Advent, we look at how we can all lean on the Love of the Lord for our joy and courage. Services start at 10:30 MST and can be seen live on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/MainAvenueFellowship/) or viewed afterwards on our website (www.mainavefellowship.blogspot.ca). Bonus this Sunday, at 7:00 pm we will be broadcasting our Christmas Eve Candle Light Service as well.

Blessings
Pastor Todd


No comments:

Post a Comment