Visit our new web page @ www.mainavefellowship.ca

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

The Things You Find Out

Growing up, I remember attaching myself to my father to learn all I could from him. Dad, being a farmer from Manitoba, struck out on his own at a very early age. He had a six grade education, yet he was one of the smartest people I’ve ever known. His carpentry and mechanical skills seemed to be inherent and woven into his DNA. I always looked up to him and as a son, wanted to be just like him.
          
These days, my mom and I occasionally enjoy some coffee time and through our conversations I learn something new about her every time.  For example, as recent as last week she told me that she worked for the New Glasgow Evening News in the 1940’s delivering newspapers in Thorburn. She, at about ten years of age would walk the roads until she saved enough money to buy a used bicycle from a friend. How fitting, that seventy years later, I am writing these messages for the same. She used to clean houses and give most of her pay to my grandmother to help run the household. Now, these things may not mean a lot to most reading this, but to me, it allowed me to know a bit more of how my mom’s work ethic was developed and passed onto us.
  
I am mentioning this as a demonstration that when we spend time with our parents, spouses, friends, children, and yes God, we will be amazed at what we learn about each of them. If we didn’t spend time together in each other’s presence, we will never know anything about the most important people in our lives. The natural order of things is that parents will graduate to God’s glory before children, so we should be hungry to learn and share all we can.
          
When we gather with friends for church and bible studies, we are honoring Jesus’ invitation to sit with Him. He wants so much for all of us to share our own “coffee” time with Him so we can learn as much as we can about Him. He has even given us a great book to read and learn from, so we can get a small taste of what He has in store for us when we meet Him. So this week, I encourage you to sit in His shadow, read His book, and listen as He shares His story with you. Like me learning about my mom, you too will be amazed at the things you will find out.
          
Mike Shindruk

www.mastershandministry.blogspot.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment