Visit our new web page @ www.mainavefellowship.ca

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

On A First Name Basis

During my high school years, I found it very odd that many of my class mates would call some of our teachers by their first names. Whether by invitation, or self-indulgence I always felt it lowered the respect level between student and teacher. Years later, and on many occasions, I would see one teacher in particular, and address him as Mr. So and so, to which he would reply, please call me by my first name. Finally I promised him that when I turned sixty, I would, and a couple of weeks ago, after turning sixty one, I bumped into him, and had to choke out addressing him by his first name.  It only took me forty plus years to get to that point. Even after this many years, I still hold him in high regard as a show of respect. This is because of the established relationship while growing up.

Our relationship with Jesus is entirely different. Yes, Jesus is also our teacher, yet on a much different level. He teaches about eternity, where school teachers teach about the earthly tools we need. Jesus is our advocate to God the Father, welcoming is to call on His name for all our needs. We should all be on a first name basis with Jesus. When we hurt, we call His name. When we have victory, we should shout His name. When we finally find peace, we whisper His name. He loves us so much, and wants so much for us that He wants nothing to come between us, not even the word mister. He knows our names, and speaks them daily to the Father. Knowing this, it should be natural that we do the same.

I encourage any of you, who have yet to accept Jesus into your heart, and life, that it is never too late. The lyrics in a James Taylor song sing volumes, “You just call out My name, and you know, wherever I am, I’ll come running”. These are an open invitation to all of us, and I have seen first-hand that it works. I may always struggle to call my teacher by his first name, but rest assured, I am perfectly at ease calling on the name of my Savior, Jesus, as we are forever on a first name basis.

Mike Shindruk

www.mastershandministry.blogspot.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment