Visit our new web page @ www.mainavefellowship.ca

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Sanctifying Power of the Holy Spirit

I love church terminology. Nothing scares people off faster than using hundred dollar words and expecting everyone in the building to understand just what it means. Many years ago I remember sitting in the church and hearing terms like eschatology, ecclesiastical, justification, reformation, sanctification, glorification and the odd diaspora and restoration thrown in to really confused me. For those who grew up in the church, these words and concepts meant something but for me, it just added to the confusion and I felt like I was on the outside looking in.

Sanctifying power of the Holy Spirit. Why is something so wonderful so difficult to understand? Sanctify in Latin is Sanctus which means Holy, set apart, purify, cleanse or unburden. These are terms I can understand. Now, let's expand this a bit more:

Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. Romans 8:5 NIV

Now, that's all cool but what is it the Holy Spirit desires of us?

The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace. Romans 8:6 NIV

The mind given over completely to Holy Spirit, completely sold out to God, growing in the life, the joy, the peace of God. Every day we are growing in the love of the Holy Spirit and dying a little bit more to self, that is, the flesh. Sanctification means giving up the reigns to God and letting Him steer.

Over the next few weeks leading up to Pentecost we are going to explore Holy Spirit. It will prove to be enlightening for many.

Blessings

Pastor Todd

1 comment:

  1. At the time of salvation did God's spirit not fully enter us and Adams spirit was removed ( spiritual rebirth).Making us a new creation completly sanctified ,forgiven and righteous. I am called to renew my mind or agree with what God says about my new identity . I think i need to separate behavior ( fleshy old ways) from my new identity. E.g.. God loves us now and the behavior issues with the spirits help will eventually line up with that new identity.

    ReplyDelete