Visit our new web page @ www.mainavefellowship.ca

Monday, February 7, 2022

Just Look Up

Psalm 121:1-3 NCV says this. I look up to the hills, but where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord. Who made heaven and earth. He will not let you be defeated. He who guards you never sleeps. I have shared, used, relied on, and practiced this scripture many times. I’ve shared with people who expressed despair in their situation. I’ve used it to encourage someone who felt they were at the end of a rope that had no knot to hold onto. I’ve relied on it when my own fears and shortfalls took up real estate in my head. Most importantly, I’ve practiced it, knowing full well that God had me and my situation under control. When we get to that point, we need the reassurance of this scripture to re-tie that knot in the lifeline He has thrown us.

I’ve looked up many times in my sixty-five years. The first time was probably into the eyes of my parents as they held me for the first time. Many more times as I was growing up, I would be looking up, to my father who taught me thousands of life-lessons and skills. To my mother a thousand times for lessons of the heart. To the many people that invested time and energy into teaching me so many other things during my working career. I am still looking up to those who helped guide me to Christ, and regularly to my own Pastor as she always encourages others in Christ. One of my most memorable looking up moments was when I awoke from having knee surgery to see my wife’s face. That is one of those moments that does not need to be shared with anyone but her.

We all have times when we need someone to come along side us and remind us to look to the mountains, both figuratively and literally. No one can get through this life without someone to reach down and pull us up from where we lay. No one is strong enough to figure this thing called life, out by themselves. So, let’s rely on this scripture and so many more to pull our boots up and get the laces tied. Our country and our world, is in such a turmoil right now that we can hardly breathe after watching the news. One protest after another, with thousands of voices trying to drown each other out. Countries trying to overtake another for resources or power. The rich are holding power over the poor, while we all try and not die from the next virus. It’s enough to make one want to run to the hills we’re looking up to.

Yet, there is hope. If we just think about our own situations, we can at least start to climb out of what ever hole we think we’re in. The world’s blaring horns are meant to drown out common sense and courtesy and to pound us into submission. Let’s not allow that to happen. We can still love our neighbors even if we disagree. We can still wake up tomorrow if we didn’t watch the news or zombie ourselves on our phones and computers. I can only imagine what the world would look like, if even for a day, we just sat and looked to the mountains. Can you imagine what God’s voice sounds like to each of us when we listen? Can you imagine feeling your blood pressure drop, as a sense of peace and calm washes over you? This is not sticking our heads in the sand, but rather placing our hearts in His hands. They are the hands that can cradle our faces so we may look for His and cover our ears so we listen for only His voice. Wouldn’t anyone like or deserve this right now? I believe we do.

My friends, as we gain two to three minutes of additional daylight with each sunrise, let’s draw a breath, give a little thanks for what we have, and use some of that extra time to simply look to the mountains. You will be amazed at what you may see.

Mike Shindruk

Master’s Hand Ministry

No comments:

Post a Comment