Visit our new web page @ www.mainavefellowship.ca

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Pray Like Your Life Depends On It

I was watching a Simpson’s episode and noticed that Rev. Lovejoy was preaching on Constancy. It was not the message that got me thinking but rather the delivery. The sermon sounded like it was being delivered for the hundredth time and it was rather robotic and lacking passion. Something was missing, something powerful and from deep within: Passion!

The satraps and administrators of Darius’ kingdom were jealous of Daniel (see Daniel 6) and set out to trap him. They knew the only way to trap Daniel was to get the king to issue an edict that stated none could worship or pray to any other than himself or thirty days. Daniel, according to tradition, maintained morning, midday and evening prayers and did not break from his normal activities even though it meant death if he were caught and he was caught when these men sought Daniel out at the usual prayer time.

When hard pressed, I cried to the Lord; he brought me into a spacious place. The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me? The Lord is with me; he is my helper. I look in triumph on my enemies. Ps. 118:5-7

The Psalm, when read with the sense of passion and urgency that comes from deep within our very soul takes on a whole new meaning. It is a testimony of God’s magnificence declaring the power and strength. When Daniel was faced with imminent death in the lion’s den did he call out to the Lord:

Then I called on the name of the Lord: “Lord, save me!” The Lord is gracious and righteous; our God is full of compassion. The Lord protects the unwary; when I was brought low, he saved me. Ps. 116:4-6

He would have known the prayers of the Psalms, the cry to God “Lord, SAVE ME! Deliver me from death!!!”

No church can be built without prayer; no gathering can grow in relationship without prayer. God is the Creator of all things and our prayer is a conversation with our Father, our Saviour. To live without talking and listening to our Lord is like building a house without first seeking out a draftsman, sure it will get built but will it stand the test of time without the proper foundation?


This Sunday, we start our series on prayer and we will look at the history and significance of prayer and prayer ritual. We hope you can join us either in person or online. For more information visit our Facebook page at Main Avenue Fellowship or email us at sunnaz2@telus.net

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Bill. We added a link to your page to the right. Miss you all!

      Delete
  2. What a great move for Main Ave Fellowship especially for those of us who disappear for half the year. Thank you Mike Fleming Kerugoya Kenya www.hugs4africa.com

    ReplyDelete