Visit our new web page @ www.mainavefellowship.ca

Tuesday, March 5, 2019

This May Or May Not Have Anything To Do With Sunday Service


When I started doing a weekly blog back in 2007, it was called Take It Or Leave It and the articles were both challenging for some and an eye-opening for others. I was regularly questioned on some of my thoughts which, in turn, lead me to research the topic thoroughly so that I would not be branded a heretic. Many times the issues were denominational and were caused by interpretation through the black book rather than the Good Book. It was then I decided that what I write will be founded on Scripture and not on denominational interpretations. So, with that said, I give you this scripture.

“You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am. Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet.  I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.  Very truly I tell you, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them. John 13:13-17 NIV

Jesus opened the eyes of the disciples when He took it upon himself to set the example for what servant leadership truly looks like. So often we place leadership on a pedestal and I dare say there are some who quite enjoy the view from lofty heights but this one piece of Scripture should be the eye popper for those in position of leadership. The Master states that “no one is greater than the Master”. Think about this for a second, the greater the position in the church, even in life, the greater the responsibility we have to those around us. It is like we have taken on the task of not only supporting those around us but also showing the way so that the philosophy of Christ-like leadership can be replicated ad infinitum. This, for some people, may mean a shift in their thought process and personal practice. There were times when I was in retail that I instructed my managers that they were not there primarily to be the boss and collect a paycheque, they were there to be the support for those who were doing the work, the paycheque was a perk of being an awesome support for those they were responsible for. If you are not willing to make sure those around you have everything they need to succeed in life, training, support, encouragement, then what do you really have? Jesus gave us the perfect lesson; gird up your loin cloth, grab some soap and wash some feet. When you have done this, remind them that that is what true servant leadership is and to go forth and duplicate it. No one is above this message, it is the Word of the Master.

Last Sunday, we had a stellar day of no computer glitches and we are anticipating another Sunday similar to that one. Join us if you can at 10:30 MST on Sunday or you can watch us live online on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/MainAvenueFellowship/) or view it afterwards on our website (www.mainavefellowship.blogspot.ca).

Blessings
Pastor Todd


No comments:

Post a Comment